I'm not familiar with the Fair Housing Act - What is it?

The Fair Housing Act requires housing providers such as landlords or management companies to allow the possession of animals that work, provide assistance for, or perform tasks that benefit individuals with qualified medical disabilities – or that provide emotional support to individuals to reduce a symptom or effect of a disability.

The Fair Housing Act also requires individuals, who wish to possess a service or support animal, to follow specific criteria relevant to the type of support needed.

For an emotional support animal, the individual has to speak with a licensed mental health professional in the state they reside and receive a prescription of an ESA Letter in order to qualify.

Was this article helpful?

1 out of 1 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request


1 comment

  • Comment author

    My psychiatrist says that he can provide me with an ESA letter. Is this legitimate or do I have to spend money through something like your website?



Please sign in to leave a comment.